Sunday, August 26, 2007

Book Review: Prowl


Well wow! It's been almost two years since I posted anything on the blog site and now I just discovered that I never posted a book review of my brother Gordan Runyan's Prowl. So Here it is from 8/27/2007. It is short and I can't give all the details since I don't want to give the story away, but suffice it to say we thoroughly enjoyed the book. Thanks so much Gordan:)

I wanted to take a moment and write a brief review of a good friend's novel, Prowl. Gordan sent me the book a few months back. I often read historical type novels with the kids during or after family worship at night. However, since my dear brother sent it to me and in anticipation of all of the excitment and suspense that I heard about, we put it immediately in line to read to the kids after our current book.

We began the book some weeks back, but because of having to be out of town due to an overload in the work we had, the book went very slow for us. However, it was all it was made out to be:) Gordan has a great style of writing and if you have ever talked with him, you can almost hear his voice in some of the humor of the book. If you've ever read his blog and enjoyed it, then you will enjoy this novel. Like I said there were times where I was completely cracking up, looked at my wife and kids and said, "This has Gordan Runyan written all over it".

You will enjoy the story. It has action, suspense, and edge of your seat drama. this reads almost like an episode of 24. The great thing about the novel is that it is not a pipe dream. It is based in reality. Real life stuff happens. Gordan gives you intimate details of the inner workings of a Navy submarine and he takes time to develop the ship and its crew for those who wouldn't know what a poopie suit is:)

The message of the gospel is realistic too. Gordan develops the characters in the story very well and the back and forth between scenes is what makes it so great. You are never stuck in just one scene, but are constantly being moved about with action, suspense and adventure as well as an easy to follow story line. Gordon, you should write many more books brother. Those who read will not find this the usual "Christian novel" simply because the main character is struggling to understand who he is in light of what he learns from God's Word. In the midst of things he isn't surrounded by a bunch of Christians who are encouraging him. Rather he finds himself trying to stay alive amidst a killer on the loose in his submarine. My hat's off to this book. My family enjoyed reading it together:) They even run around the house saying, "Mo betta"....and if you are wondering what that is......get the book:)

No comments: